Article written by TechNetNews, latest tech & gadget news, reviews and articles
In the process of software development not just the actual writing of the code, implementation as well as fixing bugs is important parts of the process. Fixing bugs is also a methodical process involving several steps.
- Identification of the error: Obviously you have to identify an error to fix it. Be aware of information coming from third parties. You need to see it rather than relying on someone else information.
- Finding the error: Going through a code and locating the exact point where the error is located is important.
- Analyzing the error: When analyzing the error go through a bottom-up approach reviewing the code from the beginning to the point of error. This gives a better idea how you need to fix it logically.
- Testing the analysis: Before you write an automated test to fix the bug, you need to test it to see whether it works.
- Covering lateral damage: You need to make sure when you fix the error you are not causing damage to any other parts of the program.
- Fix the error: Wow! Finally you implement your fix for the bug.
- Back test the error fixing: Don’t stop at the above step. Go one step further and see how the fix is working. This feedback is important to successful fixing of errors.